167 | Can Your Collection Turn into Cash? A Professional Organizer's Perspective
In this episode, we dive into the world of collections, clutter, and the surprising truths that lie within. Host Jennifer Ford Berry candidly shares her insights and experiences as she helps a client confront a colossal collection of clothes and accessories. With unwavering honesty, Jennifer highlights the often-misunderstood nature of collections, debunking the myth that they can effortlessly be turned into cash. Her advice, honed through years of organizing expertise, reminds us that collections rarely appreciate in value, and selling them can be a challenging endeavor. Jennifer introduces the concept of "privilege giving," encouraging us to bless others by donating excess items to local nonprofits. With a joyful and empowering outlook, she inspires us to embark on the decluttering journey, knowing that it leads to a positive transformation and a clutter-free life. Tune in to uncover Jennifer's practical tips, heartfelt advice, and the path to reclaiming control over your space and possessions.
- Recent client experience involving a vast collection of clothes, accessories, and more.
- Challenges of collecting items and the misconception that collections can easily be turned into cash.
- Not justifying excessive spending on collections with the expectation of a future financial return.
- Difficulty of selling large collections, in yard sales, consignment shops, and online platforms.
- "Privilege giving" as a way to bless others by donating excess items to local nonprofits and organizations.
- Letting go of collections, acknowledging the benefits of a clutter-free space.
About your host, Jennifer Ford Berry: Jennifer is the host of the Make Room podcast and the founder of the Created Order Neighborhood, an online community of women who want to live a life of order and purpose. She is the author of five books, including the Organize Now! series and her latest, Make Room. Jennifer was previously the regular organizing expert on the TV show Winging It, Buffalo Style. , and has appeared as a guest expert on several television and radio shows, as well as in national magazines and newspapers. Jennifer lives in western New York with her husband and two children. She works both hands-on and virtually with her clients to help them eliminate clutter and live their dreams.
Where to find Jennifer:
Do you want to create an organized and purposeful life?